Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Start of My New Life

I don't remember when I originally got the idea in my head to travel. Perhaps it was when I read Dragondrums by Anne Mccaffrey. Piemur was one of my favorite characters in her Pern novels. He was so free, so carefree and happy most of the time when he made his way south. I want to have that kind of life. Maybe it was when I lived in Gulf Breeze, Florida with my grandmother, with no job, a bike that was given to me by my Uncle with a slightly above average income, and a place to ride. I went all around the city and loved riding around without worrying about needing to go to a 9 to 5 job every day. I cleaned the house daily for my grandmother and mowed the lawn and cooked all of our meals so I can't say I did nothing all day. However, it wasn't really a job to me, more like a vacation that I had to keep clean. Looking back though, I wish for the 4 months I lived there that I could have gotten a job at least part time to help with bills and to save a bit of money up.

 I can't wait to go on a long distance trip on a bicycle that I will get soon. I am currently saving money for the trip. Saving for a bicycle, a tent, bike rack, panniers along with a few other necessities for a long distance ride. I may change my mind on a few things once I start buying what I need but that will come down the road.

 As of right now, prices are my biggest concern. Everyone knows you will need high quality items to go on an excessive trip by bicycle simply because you need as much durability and space as well as lightweight items. Those 3 things are difficult to manufacture cheaply so everything tends to get a bit pricey really quick. I'm a 22 year old on a very low income (poverty level) trying to make this trip happen.

 I don't know where it started, as i said before, though I have this burning desire to see the world. I want to see the great redwoods in California, the Grand Canyon, Death Valley over east too. I want to go to Egypt and see the pyramids, Mexico and see the Mayan ruins. I want to travel and see what I want to see and make a living on the way. Life is waiting and I plan to take hold and ride it for all it's worth.

I don't currently know when I'll go or how long the trip will last. What I do know, however, is that however long I do travel, it will happen any way I can achieve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment