Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Next Thing On My List

Today, I've been thinking on whether or not I want to take my computer, phone and a camera and any other electronics... I've realized that my phone very possibly won't work many of the places I want to go after I get out of the United States. That would suck for the simple fact that it would be the only way to get a hold of my family in the middle of nowhere. There will probably be days at a time that I'm nowhere near anywhere let alone a phone to use. The next problem with taking my phone along is the fact that it needs a monthly bill that adds to my budget. International calls? That adds quite a bit more I'd say. So, suffice to say, I'm in the middle of deciding whether to keep a cell phone on the trip or phone home like ET as much as I can. My family may just need to expect me to miss a few days here and there when I'm in an un-serviceable area. I guess I'll have to cross that road when I get there.

The next part of that is a laptop computer or a tablet to try to keep communication with the outside world. Also, for a possibility like couchsurfing in the area even? Difficult to know who would help me out if I was caught out in a really bad storm or something. It's bound to happen sooner or later right? The problems arise with a computer or tablet with their awkward sizes and weights. Who wants to lug around something long and rectangular if you get off your bike a lot? Not me. I really don't want to be lugging around a lot if I go into the grocery store or getting some things to fix my bike or something else. I would rather have just a very few select things besides my bicycle that could get stolen and I care about a lot. I'm thinking I may go on this trip completely without electronic accompaniment. NO ELECTRONICS AT ALL? Am I nuts? Yes, probably but if others have done it (and they have) why can't I?

Another thing I've thought about is companionship. Someone to share all of the amazing experiences with. If anyone wants to join me on this adventure, send me an e-mail at kenneth.blankenship09@yahoo.com. I think it would be awesome to have multiple people on a tour around the United States and later the rest of the world. I know I'll meet so many people on the way but my goodness, it would be nice to know someone else shared in my adventures along with me the whole time. It won't be comfortable. Know that now. It's probably going to be some of the most terrible times trying to not get killed by cars, trucks, bears, the weather, teenagers just "looking for fun". Those times will be outshone by some of the greatest sights this world has to offer though I promise you. There will be many sunrises and sunsets in some of the most amazing places on this Earth. I welcome any suggestions anyone has on any subject I talk about on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment